Hillside’s Yukon Math Challenge is back!
Students are busy focusing on learning math fluency facts and working towards their celebration. Each grade is working on the following:
- 1st Grade: Addition Facts – earn a decorated cookie
- 2nd Grade: Subtraction Facts – make trail mix
- 3rd Grade: Multiplication Facts – build a banana split
- 4th Grade: Multiplication/ Division Facts – make nachos
- 5th Grade: Division Facts – earn play money for a pizza party
How can parents help at home:
Dice Game: Get a pair of dice and start rolling. Use the numbers on the dice to test the appropriate math fact (i.e. 1, 6 shown – 1+6 or 6-1 or 1*6 or 6/1).
Card Games: Grab a deck of cards and plane one of these easy games
- Math Fact War – slap down 2 cards (1 from each player) and the first person to provide the math fact answer wins the cards (Example: Player 1 as a 4 and Player 2 has 5, the player who answers the addition question of 9 wins the cards). Reference Point – Aces =1, Jacks = 11, Queens & Kings= 12